top of page

What's in the Bottle?

Trying to diffuse the commotion that there are more bacteria in a water bottle than a toilet.



So, earlier this week I was on tv talking about the risks of microorganisms in drinking bottles of water. There was some article that came out saying that there are more bacteria in a used drinking bottle than in a toilet. Needless to say, this 'hype' got millions of people worried needlessly.


Firstly, when we drink directly from a bottle, it gets contaminated with bacteria from our own mouths. If we don't drink from the same bottle (and we shouldn't), they are OUR OWN bacteria, so that is not a big issue considering that our mouths have billions of our own bacteria.



Having said that, a few tips:


If the bottle starts smelling, that is a sign that it is overloaded with microorganisms that have grown on the various walls of the vessel. In which case you should wash it thoroughly with warm water and a tiny bit of dishwashing liquid.


If you are particularly worried, then very warm water, dishwashing liquid and a cleaning brush.


Do not leave water bottles of any kind out in the sun. Bacteria love warm conditions and grow much faster.


Do not use the same bottles for water and other liquids. Remnants of coffee, chocolate milk and juice are great food for microorganisms. They don't need very much!


Do not use disposable plastic bottles for more than a couple of days and if they have been left in the car during warm months, discard them.


If mold appears, discard the bottle. Prefer bottles from glass and metal, as they are easier to clean.


Avoid plastic containers that are not from reputed companies. Some bottles are dishwasher safe, others are not. And don't fret too much. There are bacteria everywhere!


Comentarios


bottom of page